Tuesday, April 17, 2007

grapefruit and boys

I have to gush for just a moment here, so give me a small gush moment if you would. Last night I was making stir fried shrimp with snow peas from this magazine http://www.saveur.com/ (of course I can't find the recipe online to link to it) and my sweetie offered to make me a cocktail. Being a vodka girl (ok, you got me, also a rum girl, bourbon girl and perhaps a tequila girl too), I said how about a vodka grapefruit? (my standard evening cocktail - a girl needs her vitamin C right?)
He says "ok" and looks in the fridge for the grapefruit juice.
"Where's the juice?"
Me "Oh, I ran out on Easter and have been squeezing the ones my dad gave us from Florida ever since" (side note here - these grapefruits are so delish - he picked them up at a farmer's market down there while on vacay).
I thought of course that he would bow out of the making of the cocktail offer or offer to make something different. No, he went down into the basement, grabbed two grapefruits and began squeezing them. They were a beautiful light pink color and I had to take a photo - I know, it is just grapefruit juice and vodka, but it was a gorgeous color. He went to the beer club meeting this eve and took the camera with him, so I will post the photo tomorrow.
foodandbeer 206
The point is, he didn't think twice and squeezed fruit to make me my goto cocktail. He will even make me a much more labor intensive mojito on occasion. That's love.

And well, it doesn't stop there, the gushing, just a bit more gushing. I was on the road all day today driving to Lake Huron and back and upon arrival home noticed two large pots of flowers on the deck greeting me. If it weren't dark out right now, I would take a photo, but tomorrow I will. The pots were filled with purple pansies, pink hyacinth, daffodils and yellow tulips - all in bloom and blasting with color and vibrancy. I melted. In the back yard was the remainder of a flat of pansies waiting to be planted. I am still so taken aback by such selflessness (well he might like the flowers too). He went to the local garden store to get flowers, nothing else.
flower and cats 010 flower and cats 011
To top it off, he organized the laundry room and built shelves. I should mention that he had the day off. All of it such a surprise, pulls on the strings of my heart. The little things, they have much more distance in them sometimes.

hiltonhead2 007

i'm out

No comments: