Sunday, April 01, 2007

Wings... is it the sauce or the chicken??

For me, it is all about the sauce and the crunch, well, two sauces really. Hot wing sauce and blue cheese sauce. Eating wings is a reason to eat the wing sauce. Just like for my dad, eating shrimp is just a way to eat as much cocktail sauce as he wants. He could dip carrot sticks in there and I think he would be just as happy.

I have discovered/created something that rivals wings, but has less calories (maybe, that could be debatable) and is far easier to make. No bones, no skin and no deep fryer. And well, it has potatoes in it and everyone knows that I love my potatoes.

Buffalo tater tots. Now there are plenty of brands of tater tots out there with no wheat added, so this makes it really easy. Bake them at whatever temp they should be baked at until they are crispy. In the meantime, in a microwave safe bowl add probably 1/8 to 1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce, I like Crystal, Durkees or Franks, depending on what is on sale. Then add several pats of butter and some garlic (fresh or dried) and microwave for 30 seconds or so until the butter is melted. Stir and then toss the hot tots in the sauce when they come out of the oven. They sigh with pleasure as they adsorb the hot sauce.

Have a little side bowl of blue cheese dressing - luckily there is a brand supplied near me (found next to the lettuce in the store - the refrigerated kind) that uses Roquefort mold instead of bread for the blue mold innoculation. Yes folks, lots of blue and gorgonzola cheese is fine, I find that the blues of European origin tend to be the true stuff, and less frequently use bread mold as a starter. It is easy to make your own dressing too. Blue cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, chives, salt, pepper and maybe some mayo or cream.

Oh the heat, oh the crunch, oh the potato deliciousness. Then the creamy blue tang.

Let me know if you try it and like it. I might just have to make some for the Final Four game this eve. If I do, I will take a pic. Goes great with basketball. Sometimes a little junk food gets you through.

IMG_5511

i'm out

No comments: