Sunday, February 25, 2007

back to asia and some more breads

One day this winter I tried to satisfy my craving for spring rolls/egg rolls and make my favorite Vietnamese style rolls. Since I can't use regular spring roll wrappers, I tried to use spring roll papers - the rice ones. This worked ok. They were sticking to each other and breaking open while frying. Even though I was frustrated I decided to freeze the ones that we didn't fry up. Well, I am happy to report, that a little time in the deep freeze produces the perfect GF eggroll! It dried out the rice paper enough that it could withstand a bit of frying and a lot of dipping!

gingfood 027

newyears_retirement 404

Here is some pita I recently made. These had great flavor and a chewy crunch. However, they need to be eaten in a day or two or they get tough. I used Bette Hagman's bread book Pita recipe and it works great. I used ground flax seed once and oatmeal bran once in place of almond meal. In fact, I haven't used the recipe as is yet. Under cook them a bit if you want to use them more like actual pitas.

gingfood 061

And finally, some fat free, egg free french bread. Also out of one of Bette Hagman's books. I modified it by adding fresh rosemary and roasted garlic. This loaf is great for making garlic bread or little bruscettas.
gingfood 003

gingfood 010

Ok, finally again. Here's some yummy GF mac and cheese. I tossed in a little andouille sausage, topped it with some canned tomatoes (from the garden - my supply is diminishing fast) and some homemade GF bread crumbs (from a loaf of sourdough). Creamy, crunchy and a bit of spice and tang.

gingfood 031

i'm out

3 comments:

I Am Gluten Free said...

Oh yes, I'm right there with you. Obviously, we both have a yen (ha! ha!) for Asian food. Those spring rolls look excellent! Congrats on making lemonade out of lemons. I will definitely have to try making and freezing my summer rolls, and then frying them. Great idea! And everything else looks lovely too!

Mike Eberhart said...

The egg rolls look wonderful!
And, looks like some pretty decent bread too. If you want to try any others, my wife has a few other gluten-free bread recipes here online.

Love that cardinal in the snow picture too :)

celticjig said...

I will try some! The focaccia recipe looks great. I think I copied down a recipe for french bread from your site a month or so ago. I am retesting the eggrolls tomorrow. Yesterday I made two batches (one with raw pork and one with raw shrimp)with a new method (watch for photos and recipe) and froze them.
Thanks for checking my site out!
Ginger